What is PAAT?
Protection and Advocacy for Assistive Technology (PAAT) is a federally funded program operated by MO P&A.
The primary focus of the program is to provide individual representation to people who have been denied funding for assistive technology and to increase the availability of funding through systems change.
An "Assistive Technology" device is any item that is used to increase, maintain, or improve functional capabilities of individuals with disabilities.
Who is eligible for PAAT program services?
PAAT services are available to people:
- Who have a disability and who will maintain or increase their functional abilities with assistive technology
- Who need help to protect their rights to access assistive technology from any funding source
What kind of services does PAAT offer?
You may receive the following services:
- Information and Referral - A referral to another agency, with a follow-up by our staff to see if you need more assistance
- Professional Assistance - Discussions with you that lead to resolution of the problem(s). Items include: self-advocacy coaching, explaining the service delivery system, etc.
- Administrative Remedies - Appealing your case within an agency or facility that does not involve going to a court of law
- Negotiation/Mediation - Participation in discussions to resolve your problem without the use of administrative or legal procedures
- Legal Services - Legal counsel or representation by an attorney in a court of law
How can MO P&A help?
MO P&A provides the following services:
- Information about services available through agencies in the community
- Advice to you about your legal rights
- Assistance in resolving disagreements through medication and negotiation
- Individual advocacy services including assistance with administrative and legal proceedings
What should you do?
Call MO P&A if you or someone you know has been prevented from getting appropriate assistive technology or services related to the technology.
If you want our help:
- Call our Jefferson City office at 573-893-3333 or toll free 800-392-8667 and an information specialist will assist you in applying for our services. TDD users please contact Relay Missouri for access at 800-735-2966.
- Write or email our Jefferson City office and tell us how we can contact you for assistance in applying for PAAT services.
- Visit any MO P&A office and someone will assist you in completing an application for PAAT services.
The PAAT program is 100% federally funded by the U.S Department of Education, National Institute on Disability & Rehabilitation Research.
Grant Award H343A010026